Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Emotions and Mother's Day

Mother's Day is this Sunday. I get emotional/tearful when I think about it.

I miss mom terribly.

I keep trying to remind myself how blessed I was to have had her in my life for 36 years. I also think about being a mother to my own daughter and I wonder if I'm mothering her the right way sometimes. I know I could do better at times, but no doubt she knows she is loved. I love being her mother. She is so sweet. She went to Florida last week for Spring Break without her daddy and I (with my sister's in-laws) and I celebrated a birthday while she was gone. She came back with a little necklace she had picked out from somewhere and went to her room, found a small used giftbag, and handed it to me saying "happy late birthday". It looked like a beaded Mickey Mouse and they did go to SeaWorld so I guess she got Mrs. Mary to buy it for her. What a sweetie!! Mary (my sister's mother-in-law) has stepped in to be our "mom". She doesn't even know how much I appreciate the love that she has not only for my sister and her family, but she has loved us just as much. I try to tell her often what she means to me! If I could convince myself to go down the card aisle, I'd buy her a Mother's Day card. I love her!!

We leave for Haiti in 21 days!!! I'm getting excited and nervous all at the same time. I can't believe that I finally get to go on a mission trip. God has so blessed us!! We are almost ready. I need to find a couple more used suitcases to use to leave there. We are not going to return with anything except the clothes on our backs so I want to find old luggage that I won't care that I leave. I've been looking at the Goodwill in our town and did find one, but I need three more. My husband and I need two a piece. We are also taking shoes (used or new) for the orphanage and being a nurse I have a lot of "medical" items that I am donating. A very sweet dentist donated toothbrushes and toothpaste too. We leave on May 24th. Please be in prayer for us, especially now with all that is going on with security in the U.S. It makes me a tad bit more nervous for our safety traveling to a foreign country and leaving my own child here for 9 days.

Thanks for checking in! I will write again soon!
Blessings,
Wendy

No comments: