Saturday, June 4, 2011

Haiti Mission Trip

Brian- our fearless youth minister and leader. He was an awesome leader and remained calm every step of the way (even though he probably knew I would be way out of my comfort zone). Lol.

Kevin and Brian on the first leg of our journey to Haiti.



The teenagers and Brian in Miami Airport







A view of Haiti from the sky. Wow, our mission is about to begin!








We were responsible for bringing shoes to the 127 kids at the orphanage. I think we probably had over 200 pairs. It was awesome.







We've just returned from our mission trip in Haiti late Thursday night. We had an amazing experience and it was definitely life changing. I am going to blog my journal just like when I was there each day and post pictures.

Here is my first journal entry:

05/23/11

Well, it's the night before my first mission trip to Haiti. I'm laying in the church sanctuary thinking how very blessed I am. I may never have this chance again but if I don't, I can cross it off my bucket list. My feelings tonight are of nervousness, excitement, joy, and a little bit of fear.

I'm sure I'll come home changed, with a renewed sense of accomplishment, that I conquered something else. I hope to come home to my own child with a bigger heart, with more compassion, and a steadfast spirit.

05/24/11 10:00am

I'm on a plane headed to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. I'm so excited about this opportunity. Brian gave us these journals last night and told us to write down our thoughts and we would be able to go back and reread them some day. You think you won't forget, but I am sure with time, some of the memories will get foggy.

Everything has been very smooth so far. The plane is very full. I'm told we are in for a huge experience and it will be shocking and eye opening. A gentleman on the plane with us is from South Dakota and he has made this journey several times. He is starting a food program called Aquaponics. We have to travel one hour in the back of a pick up truck once we get to Port-Au-Prince to get to the orphanage. That ought to be interesting with 11 of us, 22 checked bags, plus 22 carry on bags.


9:00pm

Brian wanted us to list the things we saw today:


1). Almost saw a fight at the airport over our luggage. We had been told repeatedly to say "no mesi" in regards to Haitians helping us with our luggage at the airport. We even practiced carrying everything the night before so we knew we could handle it, but when we got there we didn't know "who" exactly was with us and who was against us. Finally, a gentleman came in and ushered us out the door, but not before someone grabbed Stephanie's bags and the men were screaming and shouting over who was supposed to be helping.

2). A dead dog on the side of the road.

3). A woman with only half of her top on so her breast was exposed (sorry, but that's what I saw and then journaled). haha

4). Children walking in urine and feces without shoes on.


Things I smelled today:

1). Trash

2). Sewer

3). My own sweaty butt!!


How I felt today:

1). Sad

2). Overwhelmed

3). Burdened

4). Blessed

5). Surprised

6). Tired

7). Scared

8). Hungry (before Mecula made us the best spaghetti dinner)

No comments: