Monday, June 6, 2011

Thursday- 8:30pm

This young lady is the only person near this house (young or old) that actually picked up a shovel and helped us.

Our first church service at the orphanage. It was awesome. The guys had been working outside in the heat all day, but the kids didn't care that they were hot and sweaty.



Etalin in front of her home prior to the renovation. Etalin works as a cook at the orphanage, but she lives in a little small community just down the road from the orphanage. She earns $37/mth. for her work at the orphanage!


This is a small child that lived behind Etalin. I'm not sure if he was family or not, but seeing this child was extremely hard for me.



Getting started on Etalin's house.

WHEW!! Today has been so physically hard! We didn't sleep well last night. It seemed like half the house was awake. Mainly Emily! She couldn't fall asleep for some reason. Cheryl was digging around in the bag looking for her some Melatonin. I was up at 5:00am anyways.

We went over to Etalin's house to work early this morning after eating scones, bacon, eggs, and fresh mango. We had to sift sand- a 2-part process. Once to get out the big rocks then again with a smaller sifter to get even smaller rocks and sand. They use a very fine sand to make stucco to put inside and outside the house before painting. Her house is going to be pink! The men worked hard and put up a tin roof today too. What was amazing was that there were probably 25 men looking/standing around watching all the women and girls work. This was BACK-BREAKING, very physical labor we were doing!! One very small girl, who looked to be 8-10 years old picked up a shovel and started helping us throw the gravel into the water holes while all the strapping, young men watched. It was crazy!! I rewarded her with bugspray. Bugspray is a huge commodity here. Everyone wants it, but nobody can afford to buy it!! It costs $14 a bottle. I also coated all the little ones around there. The mamas were wiping it off the children to put some on themselves.


Leave me comments to let me know you came by my page. I'm hoping you can get a glimpse into my experience through my journal.





No comments: