Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eulogy

Never before have I spoken at a funeral. I am usually too scared to even offer to get up and try to speak, but for my granddaddy I wanted to. He was especially special to me. I wish I had my scanner hooked up so I could post a picture of him, but I don't. I will share with you what I said though.

My Granddaddy

You may have called him Peanut, Wimp, daddy, brother, or uncle, but he was my granddaddy. I wanted to tell you a little bit about who my granddaddy was. When I was a young girl I stayed every weekend with Mama Jean and Granddaddy. I could have had sleep overs with my friends, but I chose to go to granddaddy's because they were my favorite people. I loved spending time with them. Granddaddy worked for Palm Harbor Homes and Mama Jean couldn't stay by herself when Mama Mae (my great-grandmother) would go to Johnny's for the weekend or to Florida so I stayed with her. On Friday nights when granddaddy got home from work, we would go to the steak house and eat supper. Granddaddy could hardly eat because he knew everybody that came in the door. On Sat. nights we went to John's BBQ. It was the same way there.
Granddaddy impacted my life. He taught me true love. Mama Jean had epilepsy and had seizures often. When she would have one, he would wrap his arms around her tightly so she wouldn't get hurt. On April 16, they would have been married for 60 years. Yesterday (April 4) was my 11th. wedding anniversary and I pray we will be together for 60 years. Granddaddy loved lots of things and people. He loved to fish. He loved to eat catfish, chicken stew, BBQ, moonpies, and oh yes, HUNNY BUNS!!! Granddaddy told everyone about his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. He carried pictures around in his wallet for everyone to see. When I was 9 years old Granddaddy told everyone that I was his "little nurse". I would just beam. I knew from that moment on that I would go to nursing school. He was so proud of me when I graduated.
There was a movie out several years ago where a man died. His family said it was not goodbye because they would see him again someday, it was "See you later". So granddaddy, "I'll see you later". I love you and I will miss you from the bottom of my heart.

My grandparents were very special to me. I just lost my other grandmother (my dad's mom) 8 months ago. They were the last 2 alive and now I have lost both of them. We are going through some really trying times right now. Please keep lifting my family up in your prayers. I will be forever grateful.

Missing my granddaddy,
Wendy

No comments: