Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Gymnastics Meet of the Season- Pre-op Silver

Tori-bug had her first gymnastics meet of the season on Saturday. She was geared up and ready for a great meet- Pre-op Silver. She worked really hard the past 4 months and was really excited.
Monday, I had strep.
Tuesday she had strep.
Wednesday I had walking pneumonia.
Saturday at the meet she fell off the mat and pulled a ligament in her foot or her ankle.
I am not sure which. She did vault first. Our coach made a HUGE mistake and had them warming up on 5 mats instead of 4. Tori-bug couldn't even reach the 5th. mat. Three of our girls had already vaulted before the head coach realized that Tori-bug was struggling and realized that there was 5 mats instead of 4. She stopped everyone and fixed the mats, but three of our girls had already vaulted and got stinky scores. Well, one of the girls got a stinky score b/c she is the same size as Tori-bug. Tori-bug did vault on the right amount of mats, but it was still a semi-bad score. She has never been great on vault. No big deal. She got to bars and during warm-ups stepped off the mat and twisted her ankle. I didn't even realize anything was wrong. She mounted the bars fine and then fell right before she jumped to the high bar. She was trying to balance herself on the low bar with a hurt foot and couldn't balance, I guess. I still didn't know that she was hurt though. She got a stinky score on that too b/c she fell. She almost never falls on bars. She got to beam and started tearing up. THAT's when I realized something was wrong. She tried to motion to me that she couldn't do beam or floor b/c her foot was hurt. Her coach sent her over to the sports medicine people that happened to be on hand and they were acting like they were going to be keeping her/observing her for awhile. If you have never been to a gymnastics meet, you don't know that parents are not allowed on the floor. No matter if your child is hurt or not. She was being looked at on the far side of the gym. I am a nurse and her mother and it was driving me crazy. Her coach told them to tape her foot and ankle and send her back to him. The sports med. lady said, "no, I don't think she should finish". He said, "oh yes she is. I said wrap her up and send her back to me". I was able to run down to the side of the floor and give her a dose of Motrin (thanks Carmen) and my Tori-bug got right on that beam and did her full routine without ONE fall. She didn't get a great score b/c she couldn't jump high on the beam, but she did it. She ended up placing 4th!! She went to floor, but I didn't let her warm up so she could save it for when it counted. She did her routine, round-off double back handspring too, but only got a 8.4. I have always told her at these meets to do her best and have fun. She did the best she could do with it!! She put on her big girl panties and finished it. I am one proud mama today. I can't get my pictures to upload on here for some reason, but I will keep trying.

I am feeling a lot better. Not coughing my head off at least so much now. Just finished some strong antibiotics and hoping I will continue to get better. Thanks for checking in!
Wendy

No comments: