Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blue eraser

Tori-bug came home from gymnastics tonight telling me that her ear felt funny. She went on to say that it seemed like something might be in her ear. Perhaps, when she was playing with an eraser today and tossed it in the air it landed right in her ear. I immediately went into nurse mode and asked her if she had put anything in her ear. She started saying that no she didn't but it might have gotten in there SOMEHOW! I looked and didn't see anything. However, she said that she was certain there was an eraser in her ear. Now, I guess I should first give a BIG disclaimer and to say NEVER try this at home, but I have been a pediatric nurse for a long time. I have seen many things in childrens' noses and ears. I proceeded to do what my boss would have done to get it out....... I opened up a paperclip and ever so gently (not going all into her ear anything) and scooped out a bright blue eraser. I don't know how the child was hearing anything that was said all afternoon. It was pretty big. Had I not been able to pull it out extremely easily, I would have just taken her directly to the urgent care because you can bust a child's eardrum. YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS AT HOME!!! But, since it was me, I saved myself a whopping one hundred bucks!!!
P.S. I did put the fear of God in her though about putting anything in any orifice in your body. We don't do that and she better never do it again. She cried and said that as long as she didn't have to go to the hospital and get a big shot or anything that she wouldn't. Oh kids!!!!

3 comments:

jennykate77 said...

OH.My.Gosh! That's crazy. Kids are so funny...well, I might have put a blue eraser in my ear. Holy moley. Glad you were able to get it out! Whew. My cousin put a rolly polley (is that how you spell that?) in his nose one time. Took a trip to the dr. to get it out. LOL...still makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I can not believe Tori did that! I can't believe you got it out! Ya'll were lucky!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
What a great story! Our children can scare us to death, can't they?!@!! I am so glad that you could work your expert nursing skills and retrieve the wayward thing without rushing to the ER! And, I am so grateful that Tori was not too scared to tell you about it. That means she knows that she can 'mess up' and you will still love her and make things right. Oftentimes our children are too scared to say anything until it is way too late. Good for you! We love you! See you soon!.......Regina and Madie