Thursday, February 5, 2009

A CHALLENGE

My husband and I recently started The Love Dare book by the movie Fireproof. We haven't actually seen the movie yet. It is showing at our church on Feb. 19th. One of the dares in the book is to do random acts of kindness for your spouse. I have been trying to do random acts of kindness before this to perfect strangers. For instance, I would go to Starbucks in the mornings, order a coffee, then get up to the drive-thru window, and pay for the person behind me. I would then have to drive off really fast so they couldn't know who it was. Occasionally, I would pay for lunch for the person behind me at the drive-thru window. One time, when I got to the window and told the cashier that I wanted to pay for the next person (thankfully, it has never been someone that was ordering for their entire office staff or anythink like that), they asked me if that was my husband behind me. I simply said "no" and to tell them when they asked why I paid for their food that it was a random act of kindness and to pass it on. I am not telling you this to toot my own horn. I would actually prefer not to even tell anybody. However, I think it does two things...... 1. It makes the giver feel really good. I love doing things for others and I feel great when I do. 2. It just may make the other person's day.
So, when I saw this challenge in the book of doing random acts of kindness for my spouse, I thought this should be really easy for me. Of course, it isn't anonymous for him, but easy enought on me to actually do them. The only problem is, I have failed miserably. I can't even think of one REALLY nice thing to do for him that would be considered "RANDOM". He spoils me rotten and does random acts of kindness for me on a daily basis, such as bringing me a cup of coffee and placing it by my bed every single morning, cranking my car on the cold mornings so when I get in it it is warm, and occasionally leaving me the sweetness notes. Several months ago I got in my warmed up car to find a single red rose on the steering wheel with a note that said "Just like this was the only rose in the rose garden today, so are you the only one for me". Now, how can I top that? Valentine's Day is coming up next week and I need some help!! Anyone got any suggestions for me?
While you're at it, go ahead and do a random act of kindness today. It is my challenge to you. Let it be totally anonymous. Your soul will thank you for it, I promise!
Love and kisses to all,
Wendy

5 comments:

Jason said...

A challenge worth doing. I just wish I knew when you were going through the drive-thru...:) I'd be like a drive-thru stalker!! I am totaly joking but a good idea for random things you could do for your husband is beat him to his own punch. Warm up his car before work or bring him coffee in bed. Something along those lines. I am sure, what ever you decided to do will be greatly appreciated.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jason! Good idea! I got up before him this morning for once so I can bring him his coffee :-)
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Oh it is so neat to "meet" another blog mom! Thanks so much for postin on my blog! Where are you a peds nurse? I am an L&D nurse at Northside. I used to do agency work at the hospital in Winder. I really need to do more wonderful things for my hubby. I could not survive these days without him! As soon as I feel good enough, I a going to work on my blog and make a new area for non-triplet blogs!!
You will definitely be on it!
Ginny

Unknown said...

Ginny,
I am a ped. nurse in Athens. I work for a pediatrician in an office. I absolutely love what I do. Thanks for adding me.

jennykate77 said...

Hey, Wendy! I just noticed you were following my blog! Thanks! Your blog is great. This has totally happened to mr before...the Starbucks thing. I drove up, ordered, went to pay, but it had already been taken care of. You'll be happy to know that I paid for the person behind me. I heard that it went on for 3 hours! Isn't that cool?! Maybe you could slip a sweet note into your hubby's car or something, or surprise him with a dinner alone, or send him something at work...lunch maybe? Depending on what he does. I've heard great things about the book and the movie! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Enjoy your weekend!